January 2015 – December 2015
This collaboration project between arcenciel and UNHCR, named “Improving living conditions for Syrian refugees with disabilities in Akkar”, aims to improve the day-to-day life of disabled Syrian refugees living in North Lebanon.
The project’s goal is to provide refugees with various healthcare services and a holistic management system suited for each disability condition.
Those services are executed through:
- Assessing household conditions through the UNHCR’s protocol and sending social workers from arcenciel on household visits
- Delivering healthcare services such as assistive devices and specialized consultations including physiotherapy, speech therapy, and more
- Referring the disabled refugees to NGOs specialized in health protection and following up with them
- Raising awareness among community members in sessions focusing on the inclusion and integration of people with disabilities
The project, reaching out to 500 people with disabilities, has resulted in:
- 845 household visits by arcenciel
- 284 cases referred to other NGOs
- 900 physiotherapy sessions delivered
- 50 specialized sessions held
- 195 assistive devices provided
- 296 psychological sessions carried
- 12 awareness sessions conducted